White Tongue: Finger-like projections, which are already swelled and overgrown, is seen on the surface of your tongue. This coating is the result of bacteria, dead cells, and debris which are getting lodged between the enlarged and sometimes inflamed papillae.
It seems to be the thing of worry as some times it leads to the serious problems of infection and it could be cancer as well.
Causes of White Tongue
Most often the reason for the white tongue seems to arise from the problem of oral hygiene. Tiny bumps (Papillae), when inflamed and swell, your tongue becomes white in color. Dead cells, fungi, bacteria, food and dirt all get trapped between the papillae, all this when coming in contact with each other, it turns your tongue white.
Dehydration and dry mouth can also be the reason.
Some Other Factors Responsible for White Tongue
- Breathing through your mouth.
- Eating lots of soft food, smoking, chewing tobacco and use of alcohol.
- Poor hygiene care of mouth like not brushing properly.
- Some medications when used for a prolonged period of time as for e.g. antibiotics which leads to bringing oral yeast infection.
- Cancer of tongue and cancer of the mouth.
- Oral thrush: Candida yeast is the main culprit behind this problem, it is an infection in the mouth, the reason for this condition is weakened immune system from diseases like HIV/AIDS, diabetes, or iron and vitamin B deficiency can be the reason for causing this problem.
- Oral lichen planus: In your mouth and on your tongue, your gums become sore and the tongue becomes white.
- Geographic tongue.
- Syphilis: This is a sexually transmitted disease. If syphilis is not treated, the white patches known as syphilis leukoplakia can form on the patient` s tongue.
- Leukoplakia: This condition can develop into oral cancer, which can happen on your gums and some time on the tongue also, which causes white patches to form on the inside the mouth of the patient. Smoking and alcohol can also be the reason for leukoplakia, cancer of mouth and cancer of the tongue.
- HIV and AIDS kind of diseases could cause immune suppression, due to which problem of white tongue arises.
White Tongue Treatment in Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda this white coding is due to 1 of three “Doshas”, “Kapha Doshas” disturbance in the body, as the coating is whitish in color, the reason is Kapha dosha, when our “Agni” or digestive fire gets weakened the toxins (Ama) gets to invade our body, as now by whitish color of tongue, we diagnose this problem, it is due to Kapha dosha and toxins are mainly in the colon. When you tend to feel sleepy after meals and your weight is also gaining this means you are suffering from slow fire or “Mand Agni”. When Mand Agni occurs in the body it leads to undigested food.
Being left in our system, hence toxic accumulates in the body (Ama) and in the end result is the disease.
If the problem of Mand Agni is diagnosed it means, the problem is with the digestive system, so after finding the root cause we have to work on the digestive system to burn the toxins.
Some Tips for Treating White Tongue by Ayurveda
1. Drink water
An empty stomach in the morning, try to have lukewarm water as much as you can drink (according to your appetite), adding some lemon juice is more beneficial, it detoxifies your whole body and flushing out the toxins from the digestive system.
Simple, safe and best is a Mantra from Ayurveda. Processed foods, foods loaded with artificial ingredients, preservatives, additives, cold food, raw food. Better go for simple foods homemade like “Khichari Indian” (rice with lentils), leafy veggies.
3. Heavy Meals
Meals rich in dairy products, sugary products, red meat, gluten-rich foods, sweets, foods loaded with heavy ghee (oil), deep-fried foods should be avoided till the problem persists (until whitishness on tongue and digestion does not vanish).
4. Green Tea
As detoxification is the key to this problem to shun it away, green tea rich with antioxidant properties is the best way to get rid of this problem of a white tongue. Taking green tea twice or thrice a day between meals is best in this problem of a white tongue.
It is the best thing to do after meals, preferably after meals it increases the metabolic rate and best in boosting the energy of the body.
6. Spice it Up
Spices like ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, fenugreek, fennel, coriander, cumin, black pepper, cardamom, etc. for the enhancement of the digestive system.
The combination of 3 “Fals” fruits, (Amalaki, Haritaki, Bibhitaki) are best for our systems including GI tract, blood, and liver, it works as purifier for blood and elimination of toxins from the stomach and its sure that it is not habit-forming as most of the people think about it, just take powder of all 3 dried fruits, it helps in pacifying all 3 doshas (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha), as it works as laxative also.
To get the rid of this problem of white tongue you, first of all, have to make a daily routine of things, which includes in daily oral hygiene, maintaining eating healthy diet of light and easy to digest food, with some daily simple exercises and yoga for better digestion and good health, and avoiding food which is heavy and makes it difficult to digest. So it is advised to a person who is facing the problem of white tongue, alcohol, tobacco smoking, chewing tobacco should be strictly prohibited.
If you are facing this problem and you want to consult with our expert, you can sign up for our website. it is totally free.