Cervical spondylosis of the cervical
It occurs in men and women older than 40 years and progresses with age, men usually develop it at an earlier age than women.
Cervical disks which support the spine gets degenerated due to wear and tear causing the bones to rub against each other. This causes significant pain and stiffness in the neck area. It can also lead to loss of memory and sleeplessness.
Causes of Cervical Spondylosis
Cervical spondylosis is often related to the tissue degeneration that occurs with age. Less than 25% of those under 40 years suffer from cervical spondylosis, while for the age group above 40, the numbers go up by 60% or more.
2. Neck Injury
A neck injury even if it has been a while can predispose one to spondylosis. Other affecting factors that could trigger spondylosis attacks could be poor posture, excessive intake of sour foods and trauma.
While the hereditary tendency is yet to be confirmed, those who have cervical spondylosis and are above 50 years of age have a higher likelihood to have a sibling with the same condition.
4. Work Activity
Those who carry a load on their head or shoulder are more likely to have cervical spondylosis than those who don’t.
5. Herniated Disc
The intervertebral disk has two concentric layers. With advancing age, the nucleus loses fluid, complete structure gets dehydrated and flexibility is also reduced. This makes the disks more susceptible to damage and compression.
The signs and symptoms of cervical spondylosis are:
- Painful neck
- Shoulder, arm and chest pain
- Tingling and pinprick sensations in arms, feet, legs, and hands
- Numbness and weakness in the arms, feet,legs, and arms
- Lack of coordination
- Difficulty in walking
- Abnormal reflexes
- General fatigue
- Loss of control over bladder or bowel movements
- Weakness in the legs and arms
The symptoms gradually increase over time and worsen the condition of cervical spondylosis.
The pain could be mild or sometimes it may be severe.The pain may be felt over the shoulder or it may be radiated to upper arms, forearm, or the fingers in rare cases.
- There may be a chance of pain felt:
- After standing or sitting
- During the night
- On sneezing, coughing or laughing
- On bending the neck backwards
- Walking more than a few yards
- Weakness in certain muscles
- Numbness or tingling in the shoulders, arms or legs (rarely)
- Inability to squeeze the hands
Ayurveda and Cervical Spondylosis
In Ayurveda, Griva Sandhigata Vata is known for cervical spondylosis. As the name suggests, the problem is caused by the vitiation of Vata dosha(humour associated with Air and Ether).
When Vata gets provoked it causes the depletion of the body’s tissues.
The cold and drying form of Vata dosha cause the reduction of the connective tissue and cushioning fluid between the joints that is ruled by Kapha dosha (humor associated with Earth and Water).
Eventually, it leads to disc degeneration and brings about spondylosis.
Herbs used in Cervical Spondylosis
1. Shallaki (Boswellia serrata)
It is an anti-inflammatory Ayurvedic herb used for pain relief and swelling
2. Guggulu (Commiphora mukul)
Guggulu is most revered anti-inflammatory agent for natural neck pain relief and osteoarthritic pain.
3. Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
It is one of the best home remedies for neck pain in the dried form. Ginger is known for its ability to reduce inflammation markers in the blood which makes it a potent analgesic in the case of cervical spondylosis.
4. Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
It is one of the best home remedies for cervical spondylosis, as it can keep stress at
It improves muscle strength and bone density.
- Avoid sour things and curd
- Contraindicated – fried food items and pulses
- Bitter vegetables like drumsticks, bitter gourd, and neem flowers are very useful.
- Wheat is better than rice
- Vitamins A and C help to in reducing inflammation
- Eat 4 to 6 smaller meals, instead of three large meals
- Avoid exposure to cold, violent exercise and cold bath
- Maintain a comfortable posture during reading and writing
- A morning walk can provide some relief
- Use a firm mattress for sleep that keeps your head at level.
- Constipation must be avoided at all costs.
- Wind relieving pose (Pavana Muktasana)
- Half plough pose (Ardha Halasana)
- Bridge pose (Setubandhasana)
- Boat pose (Paukasana)
- Infant pose (Bal -Shayanasana)
Herbal Remedies for Cervical Spondylosis
PLANET AYURVEDA offers a combination of effective herbal remedies such as Cervical Spondylosis Care Pack. We provide 100 % herbal and pure products. All of these are free from side effects and safe to use.
1.YOGRAJ GUGGUL: 2 tablets twice a day
2.HAKAM CHRUNA : 1 teaspoon twice a day
3.JOINT AID PLUS: 2 capsules twice a day
1. Yograj Guggul
This formulation is traditionally used in Ayurveda for painful joints, osteoarthritis, muscle weakness, and rheumatoid arthritis. It rejuvenates and strengthens the neuromuscular and skeletal system. It is very effective for pain and inflammation and for gastric problems also, which helps to balance Vata dosha in the body.
This herbal preparation is the combination of various ayurvedic herbs like guggul resin, Pippali, Chitrak, Ajwain, Vidang, Kulanjan, Heartwood, Chavya, Puskaramula etc.
2. Hakam Churna
Hakam churna has the ability to retrieve the normal digestion thereby putting a stop to the Vata disturbance.
Ayurveda experts call this combination as ‘Tridosha Rasayan’. It is very effective in painfulof joints, backache, and stiffness in the body. This herbal preparation helps to balance all three dosha.
This herbal combination consists of Chandershoor, Kalonji, Ajwain, and methi.
3. Joint Aid Plus
It is a unique combination of various herbs and effective in reducing inflammation and pain. These capsules work quickly and are an excellent alternative to painkillers without any side effects. These capsules help to regain the lost strength of the joint.
These herbal capsules consist of the ingredients such as Nirgundi, Sallaki, Guggul, Sonth, and Ashwagandha.