Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) is a species of asparagus genus distributed throughout Sri Lanka, Nepal, India, and the Himalayas. This herb acts as a female tonic and supports the reproductive system of women. This is an indigenous medicinal plant and also helpful for both females and males. It improves female’s fertility and in males, it increases the sexual potency.
- Scientific Name: Asparagus racemosus
- Genus: Asparagus
- Species: A. racemosus
- Family: Asparagaceae
- Common Name: Satavar, Shatavari, Asparagus
- Part Used Medicinally: Tuberous roots
Constituents of Shatavari (Asparagus Racemosus)
- It contains Asparagamine A (a polycyclic alkaloid), Steroidal saponins, shatavaroside A, shatavaroside B, shatavarins, immunoside, filiasparoside C, and schidigerasaponin D5.
- It contains isoflavone 8-methoxy-5, 6, 4′-trihydroxyisoflavone 7-O-β-D-glucopyranoside.
- It also contains bioflavonoid, hydrogenates and trace minerals which are essential for our health such as zinc, selenium, potassium, manganese, cobalt, copper, magnesium and calcium.
(Reference: Sushruta Samhita, Shloka No. 301-302)
This herb helps in pacifying Vata and Pitta Doshas.
The herb Shatavari is sweet and bitter in taste, has cold potency, aphrodisiac in nature, acts as a cardiac tonic, improves brain activity, improves digestive fire, increases strength & stamina, treats diseases related to colon and hemorrhoids and acts as Rasayana (rejuvenative).
Therapeutic Uses of Shatavari
Shatavari is beneficial for various health conditions which include:
1. Respiratory Problems
Long term untreated respiratory problems like breathing problems and bronchitis can become very dangerous at a time. Shatavari can help to overcome respiratory tract illness and also beneficial for asthma patients.
2. Increases Breast Milk Production
Shatavari is a natural herb and it is safe for both mother and baby. Shatavari helps to increase breast milk production.
3. It Helps To Reduce Mood Swings
Mood swings are more common during pregnancy, menstruation, or hormonal problems. Regular use of Shatavari can help to reduce mood swings easily.
4. Urinary Tract Problems
Shatavari acts as a diuretic thus it helps to treat urinary tract problems and infections. Shatavari also helps to reduce kidney stones size and sometimes may treat kidney stone completely.
5. Improves Digestion Health
Shatavari acts as a digestive supporter. It helps to treat digestion-related conditions. Shatavari improves the activity of the digestive enzymes, hence improves digestion.
Introduction to Anti-mullerian Hormone (AMH) and Low Anti-mullerian Hormone (AMH) level
1. Anti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH)
Anti-Mullerian hormone (AMH) is a glycoprotein hormone which is secreted by cells that surround each egg (oocytes). Serum AMH is a marker for evaluating the quantity of ovarian reserve.
The term ovarian reserve refers to the capacity of the ovary to produce an adequate number of oocytes (eggs) which result in better fertility.
2. Low Anti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH)
Low level of anti-Mullerian hormone (AMH) implies a low ovarian reserve. In this condition, ovary loses its normal capability to provide enough egg cells (oocytes). This further leads to low fertility.
Causes of Low Anti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH)
The natural cause of low Anti-mullerian hormone (AMH) is age. As women age, the reproductive capability of ovary decreases which show a decline in the number of egg cells and the level of AMH also declines with age.
Other Causes of Low Anti-mullerian Hormone (AMH)
- Imbalance in hormones level
- Autoimmune disorders
- Environmental factors
- Genetic factor
Symptoms of Low Anti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH)
- Irregular menstruation
- Difficulty to get pregnant
- Irregular menstruation
Low Anti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH) Leads To Infertility
AMH (anti-Mullerian Hormone) indicates the quantity and quality of eggs (oocytes) in the body. So the level of this hormone is directly correlated to the potency of fertility. It means a low level of Anti-mullerian hormone (AMH) leads to infertility.
Diagnosis of Low Anti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH)
For diagnosis of low AMH, doctors may ask you about your previous medical condition like endometriosis, autoimmune disorders, etc because these conditions lead to the low level of Low Anti-mullerian hormone (AMH). If you are trying to conceive then your doctor suggests the blood test to evaluate the level of the AMH.
The Anti-mullerian hormone (AMH) blood test is the marker to evaluate AMH level.
Other blood tests are:
- Follicle stimulating hormone blood test
- Antral follicle count (AFC)
Ayurvedic Treatment For Low Anti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH)
The ayurvedic treatment gives new hope to the younger women with depleted ovarian reserve. Infertility becomes a major problem in young women. It seems difficult to manage infertility in medical science. But Ayurveda gives hope to women to fight against the poor ovarian reserve. Ayurveda offers an effective remedy for improving the level of AMH in females.
Shatavari Can Help To Improve Low Anti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH) Level And Fertility
1. It Helps In Hormonal Balancing
Shatavari herb helps in balancing of hormones that lead to infertility such as anti-Mullerian hormone, follicle stimulating hormone.
2. Anti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH) Level
The decrease in the level of anti-Mullerian hormone (AMH) leads to low ovarian reserve. So, Shatavari increases the level of AMH and improves fertility.
3. Follicle Stimulating Hormone
High FSH levels mean low ovarian reserve activity. Shatavari balances the level of FSH and improves the ability of the ovary to produce an adequate number of egg cells (oocytes).
4. Improves Immunity
Autoimmune diseases can lower the level of Anti-Mullerian hormone (AMH) which causes infertility. The poor immune system can make it difficult for a woman to conceive. Shatavari stimulates the immune responses and balances the hormone level which increases the chances of better fertility.
5. Stress Reducer
Excessive stress sometimes leads to various health conditions such as endometriosis, tubal disease, etc which further causes the imbalance in hormones and infertility. Shatavari helps to boost the function of the nervous system and help to increase the chances of conception.
Shatavari Capsules by “Planet Ayurveda”
- Shatavari capsules by “Planet Ayurveda” consist of pure extract of Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) herb. It is useful to treat all female health problems. It helps in better ovulation as well as fertilization. This herbal product increases the chances of pregnancy
- These capsules are useful in males and females, children or elders. Shatavari is known as a Universal Rasayana.
- This herbal formulation is 100 percent pure without any added artificial colors, chemicals, and preservatives.
- It is safe to use and have no side effects.
- As per Ayurveda Shatavari balances Pitta and Vata dosha and increases Kapha Dosha.
- Shatavari contains a low amount of calories, sodium content, and no amount of cholesterol or fat. It also contains potassium, folic acid, dietary fiber, and rutin.
Dosage – 1 to 2 Capsules two times daily, with water, after meals.