Sarcoidosis is an inflammatory disease that involves the abnormal growth of inflammatory cells in various parts of the body. The organs usually affected by Sarcoidosis are skin, lungs, or lymph nodes and less commonly affected organs are eyes, liver, heart, and brain.
What are the Sign and Symptoms of Sarcoidosis?
The signs and symptoms of Sarcoidosis depend on the organ that is involved. However, common symptoms may include:
- Fatigue and tiredness
- Dry mouth
- Weight loss
- Joint pain
- Epistaxis (nosebleeds)
- Abdominal swelling (stomach, intestines)
Symptoms of Sarcoidosis Depend on The Affected Organ
- Lungs: Symptoms involved are shortness of breath, a dry cough, wheezing, chest pain around your breastbone.
- Eyes: The symptoms are dry eyes, itchy eyes, eye pain, vision loss, a burning sensation in your eyes, a discharge from your eyes.
- Skin: The symptoms are skin rashes, skin sores, hair loss, raised scars.
- Nervous System: The symptoms are seizures, hearing loss, headaches.
- Heart: The symptoms are chest pain, shortness of breath (dyspnea), fainting (syncope), Irregular heartbeats (arrhythmias), palpitations, edema.
(Reference – Charakasamhita / Chikitsasthana / hikkashwasachikitsa / Chapter no. 17 / Shloka no. 13)
The Meaning of This Quotation Goes As
Excessive exposure to dust, fumes, and cold environment, excessive intake of cold water, excessive indulgence in physical and sexual activities, excessive consumption of dry foodstuffs and unwholesome diet.
What Causes Sarcoidosis?
The exact cause of sarcoidosis is not known. Sarcoidosis may be triggered by your own immune system while responding to foreign bodies, such as bacteria, viruses, or chemicals. There are some risk factors that may increase the risk of developing Sarcoidosis. These risk factors are age, gender, race and family history.
- Age: Sarcoidosis can occur at any age but usually occurs between the ages of 20 to 40.
- Gender: Women are more likely to develop the disease.
- Race: African Americans are more likely to develop Sarcoidosis.
- Family History: Genetic factors and family history is a major cause of Sarcoidosis development. If someone in your family has/had sarcoidosis, then you’re more prone to develop this disease.
According to Ayurveda, the accumulation of endotoxins in the body is responsible for this autoimmune disorder. Toxins are known as Ama in Ayurveda. This accumulation of ama in the lymphatic and circulatory system disturbs the function of the immune system. This makes your immune system weak. Due to this, antibodies accumulate in many organs of the body and form of inflammatory lumps.
How Can Sarcoidosis be Diagnosed?
The diagnosis of Sarcoidosis can be very difficult because symptoms can be similar to those of other disorders like arthritis or cancer.
The doctor will first start with a physical examination and monitor your symptoms. The doctor will also check for skin rash, lymph nodes for swelling, listen to your heart and lungs carefully, etc.
Your Doctor May Recommend Additional Diagnostic Tests
- Chest X-ray
- Computerized tomography (CT) scan
- Lung (pulmonary) function tests
- Electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG)
- Eye exam
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Blood and urine tests to assess your overall health (kidneys and liver functioning)
- A biopsy (for checking granulomas)
Alternative Treatment for Sarcoidosis
- In modern science, there is no cure for Sarcoidosis. So, the alternative treatment for Sarcoidosis is “Ayurveda”. This condition can be controlled very well with Ayurvedic treatment.
- There are various herbal remedies for sarcoidosis. These are really effective without any side effect.
- Planet Ayurveda provides the best combination of herbal remedies such as “Sarco care pack” which is an effective alternative treatment for Sarcoidosis in the place of modern treatment.
- Products offered by Planet Ayurveda are Punarnava Mandur, Curcumin Capsules, Aller- G Care Capsules, Kanchnaar Guggul.
1. Punarnava Mandur
This formulation is a mixture of herbs such as Punarnava (Boerhaviadiffusa), Shunthi (Zingiberofficinale), Trivrit (Operculinaturpethum), Pippali (Piper longum), Marich (Piper nigrum), Vidanga (Embeliaribes), etc.
Punarnava Mandur (Punarnava Mandur) eliminates all toxins from the body and also reduce the swelling or inflammation of the affected area. Punarnava Mandur serves as an effective Ayurvedic medicine for Sarcoidosis. These herbal tablets are also used for the treatment of several health problems such as anemia, chronic fever, jaundice, hepatitis, skin disease, helminthiasis, dermatitis, splenomegaly, intestinal worms, abdominal discomfort, etc.
Dosage: Two tablets, two times a day with water after meals.
2. Curcumin Capsules
Curcumin Capsules of Planet Ayurveda contains pure and standardized extract of turmeric (Curcuma longa). Curcumin reduces cell proliferation and provide relief from the pain and inflammation and inhibits tumor cell formation. It prevents the abnormal growth of the cancer cells in various parts of the body. Thus, Curcumin capsules act as the best herbal remedy for the treatment of Sarcoidosis that protect all parts of the body and also reduces inflammation and swelling.
Dosage: 2 capsules, twice daily, with water after meals.
3. Aller-G Care Capsules
Aller-G Care capsules are a combination of various herbs like Ashwagandha (Withaniasomnifera), Neem (Azadirachtaindica), Shirish (Albizialebbeck), and Haridra (Curcuma longa).
Aller-G Care helps to manage the symptoms of Sarcoidosis like Shortness of breath, Chest pain, and Constant dry cough effectively. Aller-G Care capsules also improve the immune system of the body.
Dosage: 2 capsules, twice daily, with water after meals.
4. Kanchnaar Guggul
The main ingredients of Kachnaar Guggul are Kachnaar (Bauhinia variegata) and Guggul (Commiphoramukul). Other ingredients of KachnaarGuggul capsules are Triphala, Trikatu, Tejpatra (Cinnamomumtamala), Varun Bark (Crataevanurvala), Twak (Cinnamomumzeylanicum), and Ela (Elettariacardamomum). This formulation prevents extra growth of cells in the body, therefore, it prevents Sarcoidosis. Kachnaar Guggul helps to pacify the accumulated Kapha in body channels and maintain healthy cellular functions.
Dosage: 2 tablets, three times a day, with water after meals.
Home Remedies For Sarcoidosis
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle: It includes a healthy diet, healthy weight management, stress management, and get proper sleep.
- Exercise regularly: Doing regular physical exercise can improve your mood, muscles strength and helps to reduce fatigue.
- Avoid pollution and lung irritants like dust and chemicals.
- Stop smoking as it can affect your lungs.
Food Should Be Taken
Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Foods rich in antioxidants, like tomatoes, blueberries, bell peppers, and squash
- Lean meats like fish and poultry
- Foods rich in healthy fats, like avocados, fatty fish, and nuts
- Foods, low in calcium but high in magnesium, like bananas, potatoes, soya, nuts, corn, brown rice, and oats
- Drink plenty of water every day (at least 6 glasses)
Food Should Be Avoided
- Refined grains, such as white bread and pasta
- Red meat
- Foods with trans-fatty acids, such as processed baked goods, margarine, and french fries
- Alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco