Shatavari is a species of an Asparagus plant and acts as a female tonic. This herb contains natural anti-oxidants and micronutrients.
- Scientific Name: Asparagus racemosus
- Family: Asparagaceae
- Common Name: Satavar, Shatavari, Asparagus
- Part Used Medicinally: Tuberous roots
Constituents of Shatavari
- Shatavari contains bioflavonoids, hydrogenates, trace minerals like zinc, selenium, manganese, potassium, cobalt, copper, calcium, and magnesium that are essential for our bodies. It also contains vitamin A, vitamin B, and essential fatty acids.
- Bioflavonoids have antioxidant properties which fight against free radicals in the body.
- Hydrogenates, it contains are beneficial for women’s reproductive system.
(Reference: Bhav Prakash Nighantu, Guduchiyadi Varg, Shlok No. 186-188)
This shloka, explains the qualities of Shatavari herb.
Shatavari is sweet and bitter in taste, thick, has cold potency, rejuvenative property, improves digestive fire, good for eyes, increases sperm count, beneficial for breast milk production, provides strength, useful in diarrhea and inflammation. The flowers are light, balances the three doshas (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha), beneficial in hemorrhoids and tuberculosis.
Uses of Shatavari
Shatavari herb has various beneficial effects on our body and has medicinal properties such as
1. Lowering Blood Sugar
Shatavari may help to control blood sugar levels especially in patients with type 2 diabetes.
2. Breast Enlargement
Shatavari is an essential herb that improves breast development in women.
Shatavari capsules have an anti-fungal effect. The herb stimulates the white blood cell production and hence helps in fighting against several candida infections. This medicinal herb promotes immunity and simultaneously kills harmful microorganisms.
4. Emotional Disorders
Shatavari capsules are considered to reduce negative emotions that happens due to imbalanced hormonal level in the female. So, Shatavari capsules promote positive emotions and thoughts. It can also be taken for mood swings disorders and other common complaints that occur in female at middle age such as irritability, jealousy, anger, nervousness, insomnia, etc.
5. Gastric Problems
Shatavari helps to cure gastric problems including gastric ulcers and dyspepsia. The powdered dried root of Shatavari is used to make a juice which treats ulcers and gastroparesis.
6. Improves Immunity
The poor immune system can make it difficult for a woman to get pregnant and also leads to various health issues. Due to a poor immune system, the reproductive system is easily attacked by diseases. Shatavari acts as an immunomodulator and stimulates the proper immune response and increase the chances of conception.
7. Aids Liver and Kidney
Female fertility is affected by liver and kidney as well. The wonder herb, Shatavari acts as a diuretic and helps in eliminating the excess fluid present in the liver and kidney.
8. Reduces the Toxic Build Up
Shatavari helps to eliminate the excess toxins from the body. It provides a healthy environment to sperm and egg to meet up and increase the chances of pregnancy.
Some Other Health Conditions are
- Poor reproductive system
- General debility
- Sexual disability
- Fatigue, anxiety in Females
- Bronchial infections
- A weak response to sexual stimuli
- Depression, stress, and anxiety.
Can Shatavari Improve Milk Production and Lactation?
- Shatavari can be used to enhance the production in women in the post-partum phase, just after the birth of a child. So, Shatavari promotes lactation.
- Shatavari also improves lactation naturally without producing any side effects on the mother and the baby. It helps in strengthening the uterus and improves the health of the mother.
- Shatavari is a wonder herb which increases the chances of conceiving in women. It improves female fertility and male fertility as well.
Benefits of Shatavari for Improving Milk Production and Lactation
1. Helps Restore Hormonal Imbalances
Shatavari is popular as a galactagogue. Shatavari helps to restore hormonal imbalances. It increases corticoids and prolactin production which improve the amount and the quality of breast milk produced by a nursing mother. Shatavari also stimulates the production of steroid hormones that promote milk production.
2. Antioxidant Effects
Shatavari has antioxidant properties due to the presence of bioflavonoids in it. These antioxidants prevent the harmful effects of free radicals on the body. It helps promote the overall health of the nursing mother and fight aging and cellular damage caused by free radicals.
3. Antidepressant Effect
Shatavari also acts as antidepressant. Depression often affects the nursing mother at the postpartum stage. Owing to its antidepressant property, it prevents postpartum depression.
4. It Relieves Stress
The hypothalamus, part of the brain which regulates the hormones gets affected by stress. It will lead to difficulty for women to get pregnant due to hormonal imbalance and ovulation issues. Excessive stress sometimes results in ovarian cysts, endometriosis, blocked fallopian tubes, uterine fibroids, and much more. Shatavari helps to calms down the nervous system. It prevents the negative effects of stress.
Stress also causes inflammation or injury to tissues of the reproductive system, which create difficulty in conceiving. Shatavari promotes the production of white blood cells which help to reduce the inflammation. It also absorbs harmful toxins from the bloodstream and improves reproduction by reducing the effects produced by stress.
Shatavari Capsules by “Planet Ayurveda”
- Shatavari capsules consist of pure extracts of Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) herb. This herbal product boost fertility and also supports the good health of the female reproductive system.
- These capsules can be given to any type of person males or females, children or elders. Shatavari is known as a Universal Rasayana (Rejuvenative). The name Shatavari itself means one who possesses one hundred husbands.
- The synonyms of Shatavari are Atirasa ( means very juicy), Satpadi ( means possesses hundreds of roots), Suksma Patra ( means has tiny leaves, etc.).
- It is pure formulation free from any artificial colors, chemicals, and preservatives.
Nutritional Value of Shatavari:
It is low in calories, contains no cholesterol or fat, and have a very low content of sodium. It is rich in potassium, folic acid, dietary fiber, and rutin.
1-2 Capsules two times daily, with water, after 30 mins meals.